Mike Penning MP launches ‘Treats for our Troops 2011’
20th October 2011
Hemel Hempstead MP, Mike Penning has launched his ‘Treats for our Troops 2011’ campaign. Dacorum residents are invited to make up a “shoe-box” parcel and deposit it at one of the collection points to be sent on to our troops in Afghanistan.
Mike Penning MP said:
“There has been an absolutely terrific response to this campaign in recent years and the people of Dacorum have sent hundreds of parcels to our brave men and women serving in Afghanistan. I know from personal experience that Christmas can be a lonely time when you’re serving your country far from home and I urge local people to repeat their generosity so we can send a special treat from Dacorum.
“I work directly with the Commanding Officers to make sure that, where needed, our parcels are sent to those with no real support back home. I can assure everyone that all our parcels are much appreciated. I have been personally thanked by recipients of our parcels.”
What to do?
Make up a “shoe-box” parcel and deposit it at one of the collection points in the area to be sent on to our troops in Afghanistan. If you are unable to make up a shoe-box, you can donate money towards ready-made “shoe-box” parcels - contact 01442 450444.
What to put in it?
There is a wide range of items you may wish to send but some suggestions include: toiletries, savoury snacks, packet soups, cereal bars, confectionery, clothing - socks, t-shirts, books, magazines, pens, sun screen, batteries and a message of support. If your parcel’s content would better suit a female soldier, please mark “F” on the outside.
What not to include
Aerosols, pornographic literature, explosives (!)
Max weight 2kg
Leave the destination address blank, but feel free to put a "FROM" address (clearly marked "FROM")
Parcels should be deposited unsealed to one of the following:
- Mike Penning MP Office, 6th Floor, Hamilton House, Marlowes (opposite former Market Square), tel: 01442 450444.
- Hemel Hempstead Conservatives, Davidson House, 168 Queensway, 01442 255034
- Dacorum Borough Council, Civic Centre, Hemel Hempstead
- Hemel Hempstead Gazette Office, 39 Marlowes, Hemel Hempstead HP1 1LH
- Hobletts Manor Infants' and Nursery School, Adeyfield Road, Hemel Hempstead
- Bennetts End Community Centre Café, (inside the Community Centre), Bennetts End
- Highfield Community Centre
- Kings Langley: The Villager, Charter Court, Vicarage Lane
- Markyate: Tates Coaches Office, 44 High Street
- Potten End: Anna Barnard, 9 Hempstead Lane, 01442 874760
- Little Gaddesden: Heather Mole, 35 Ringshall, 01442 842185
Parcels must be received by us before 25th November 2011 to guarantee that they arrive before Christmas.